Things that determine whether a dress shirt fits properly:
- A half inch of shirt collar should be exposed above the collar of your jacket.
- You should be able to fit two fingers between your collar and neck when the shirt is buttoned.
- The shoulder seam (the seam between the body and the arm) should be at the end of your shoulder.
- The shirt body should be smooth and unwrinkled across your chest and there should be no pulling at the buttons.
- The cuff should reach the bottom of your thumb when your arms are at your sides, and there should be enough cloth in the sleeve so it remains there when you lift your arms straight in front of you.
- The shirt should remain tucked into your trousers when you lift your arms over your head. This usually requires at least six inches of tail inside the waistband.